Wow! This is something different. Not just because this is my first review of a work of fiction – that’s not really important. I do not usually read this kind of book, so I hope my reviewing is fair. These are brilliant stories, with a strong sense of setting, yet at the same time they are universal. I had a clear picture in my mind not only of the location but also the characters and their behavior. The closest style I can compare it to is magical realism, but I am far from an expert on any of this. I don’t want to say too much about the contents of the book. The stories are succinct, and capture so much in a little space; there is no excess. The twists and turns the plots take are perhaps the most impressive aspect. These are not exactly ghosts stories in the “traditional” sense – not the wailing bed sheet, but something much less defined, and therefore much more sinister. A few of the stories feel like the protagonist is caught in a deal with a devil, the danger of having one’s soul and/or life stolen.
The titles of the stories are not as memorable for me as the
stories themselves –that is, I remember the people and events, but not what the
story was called. “Reception,” for example could be the title story, and may
also be the best, or at least strongest in the collection. The hotel is very
realistic and the supernatural is woven in masterfully. Throughout the book we
see North Americans (like those in “Guests”) and Vietnamese in each other’s
places and the inherent strangeness that is felt with such translocation. My
perception of Vietnam – I have not yet been to Asia, so I can only perceive it – was pretty much of two
different places: the one occupied by the U.S. in the war, and the country it
is today, which resembles my perception of Thailand, Myanmar/Burma, or Cambodia
and other neighbors. These stories link the two: the effects of the war are
still felt, and even the French colonialism before that. One “fun fact” I
learned (though maybe in a dark way) is that those sandwiches served on baguettes
are a result of the European imperialism. These cultural pieces are tied in so
well, they do not disrupt the telling of the story. This is a great
accomplishment: expanding our literary worldview and capturing the reader’s
attention and emotions at the same time.

No comments:
Post a Comment